Thursday, January 31, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it ... and I feel fine.

The birth of our daughter is getting closer and closer on the horizon --- we are expecting a late March/early April birth. The nursery is coming together – there is a crib, little pink dresses in the closet, and stuffed animals waiting for a little girl to play with! It is an exciting time, and we would appreciate your prayers in this time!
Ever since we have announced that Beth is pregnant, we have had many wonderful folks give us moral and prayer support --- and that is very encouraging to me and Beth! We have been overwhelmed with how much people care about us, especially in this time. But, to be honest, there have been things said that haven’t been as encouraging.
Beth and I have both been surprised to hear how some parents have related to us how miserable they view parenthood and their children. From things such as “it is just so bad … you will be so lost and scared … they will take away so much of your time … they just will suck the life from you” to “We can’t wait for them to get out of the house … my 18 year sentence is almost done, and we will celebrate … just keep reminding yourself that they will be gone by the time they are 18, and then your life can begin again … it’s the end of your world, and, maybe, one day you will get it back.” Not exactly the model of joyful encouragement, huh?
Now, I am not so naïve as to think that we will have this idyllic time at home – a beautiful baby girl who just smiles, and loves, and sleeps, and never cries! No – I am fully expecting sleepless nights, hours of crying, smelly diapers, and aggravating moments. I know that my daughter is totally depraved, and will act that way. But, how am I any different from her in that respect?
I, too, am totally depraved. You, too, are totally depraved. How would you feel if your Father in heaven spoke about you the way these parents have talked about their children? What encouragement would you have knowing that God viewed His Fatherhood as some of these parents view it?
I still pitch fits … I still throw temper-tantrums … I still kick my legs, thrash my arms, yell and scream until I get my way. The only difference between me and a child is that I have learned how to do it in a more civil and acceptable manner – I do it like other adults do! But, my God in heaven sees through that adult veneer and He sees me, as His child, one who still struggles with being selfish, boorish, arrogant, egotistical, and full of pride. Thankfully, He doesn’t throw up His arms and bemoan ever creating me, loving me and supporting me. No, He does the exact opposite.
In the midst of my sinful struggles, God has said to me, “I have so loved you, that I gave to you My only Son, and because you believe in Him, you will never perish, but will have everlasting life with Me.” Instead of God commiserating with the angels in heaven about what a little demon James McManus is, He says to me, “I want you to call me Abba (Greek equivalent for Daddy), because that is how much I love you and how I want you to relate to me!” Instead of telling others how much He can’t wait until He is rid of me, He is preparing a mansion in Heaven for me, and has thrown open the gates of Heaven for me to enter in. Thankfully, God doesn’t treat me as some earthly parents talk about their true feelings for their children.
The same is, of course, true for you --- you are, spiritually, just like a little child – you cry and moan when you don’t get your way … you throw spiritual fits when you are unhappy … you rebel against your loving Father many, many, many times. Yet, how does God treat you? The same as He has treated me. He loves you, accepts you, takes care of you, and promises eternity to you. Isn’t that a refreshing thought?
As I stare down impending fatherhood, I do so as one who wants to be the best father he can be. I will make mistakes, and I will have a child who will stretch my patience to limits unknown. But, you know what? I pray that I will model the Father in heaven to my daughter. I pray that I show her the same love that God shows His children. I pray that I will take joy in her, because she is my child. My hope is that my model of a Father will be God Himself, and that He will shine forth in my life as I love and father my daughter.
Yes, this may be the end of the world as I know it, but you know what? I feel fine about it. God is in heaven --- He has loved me and my wife more than we can ever deserve --- He has blessed us with a covenant daughter --- and I trust in His love for us. May I be a father like God is to me --- and may you desire to be a parent like God is to you.
Soli Deo Gloria --- Pastor James

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Words of encouragement and blessing -- not burden -- try camping out in Psalm 127 and 128.

Y'all are going to do great!

BTW, we love our quiver-full!